Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Dealer put in wrong coolant (Gold instead of Orange) -- a problem?

55K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Pennut 
#1 ·
Hi there,

A few days ago, I noticed my coolant was below the "minimum" line, about a centimeter below. Today, I stopped by the dealer to have it topped off. The service advisor poured in some coolant slightly past the "minimum" line, and when he had finished, I noticed it was Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant.

I looked at my owners manual, and checked the coolant reservoir label, and it says that my 2012 Focus uses Motorcraft Orange coolant, and that these two fluids shouldn't be mixed.

Is this a problem? Does it need to be drained now, or is the small amount of Gold coolant that the dealer put in acceptable? It's really irritating how a simple trip to the dealer can end up being a potential headache.

Thanks,

Michael

#2 ·
Hi there,

A few days ago, I noticed my coolant was below the "minimum" line, about a centimeter below. Today, I stopped by the dealer to have it topped off. The service advisor poured in some coolant slightly past the "minimum" line, and when he had finished, I noticed it was Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant.

I looked at my owners manual, and checked the coolant reservoir label, and it says that my 2012 Focus uses Motorcraft Orange coolant, and that these two fluids shouldn't be mixed.

Is this a problem? Does it need to be drained now, or is the small amount of Gold coolant that the dealer put in acceptable? It's really irritating how a simple trip to the dealer can end up being a potential headache.
This doesn't surprise me.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-EngineProducts-Coolants.aspx

(referring to Motorcraft® Gold Antifreeze):

Do not mix different colors or types of coolant in your vehicle. Make sure the correct coolant is used. Mixing of engine coolants may harm your engine’s cooling system. The use of an improper coolant may harm engine and cooling system components and may void the warranty

Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant

My suggestion is to have the dealer flush the cooling system and refill with the correct coolant. If they are uncooperative, contact Ford directly and escalate your issue with them.

#4 ·
Another clueless dealership service department doing things wrong and messing up people's cars.

I wonder if Ford will ever do anything about this...

It's really irritating how a simple trip to the dealer can end up being a potential headache.
Yeah... I'm still regretting my fateful trip to the dealership service department last October. My car has never been the same, and I doubt that it will ever be fixed correctly.

#7 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for the input, all.

I don't have much confidence in the same dealer to flush the system correctly, make sure it's properly bled, etc. I've PM-ed FordCustomerService to see what they can do. Luckily in the Southern California region, there are at least a handful of other dealers to choose from.

At the moment, I've stopped driving the car and will pedal around in my bicycle until the system is flushed.

#9 · (Edited)
...I've PM-ed FordCustomerService to see what they can do...
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up; I’ll shoot you a reply by the end of the day.

...My suggestion is to have the dealer flush the cooling system and refill with the correct coolant. If they are uncooperative, contact Ford directly and escalate your issue with them.
exactly, id get it flushed as soon as possible!
It’s great to see these recommendations, guys.

...My car has never been the same, and I doubt that it will ever be fixed correctly.
Strix,

I still have your info from before, so drop me a line via PM and I’ll help.

Cory

#8 ·
What's interesting is that the recommended coolant replacement intervals are 6 years/100K for the first time, then 3 years/50K thereafter.

I wonder if this is because coolant filled from the factory has a lower risk of contamination and can last longer. In that case, if I get the car flushed out, should my next change interval be 3/50? [paranoid]

#10 ·
So, I check again and my coolant has been below the min line. So I stopped by the dealer this morning and picked up some coolant to top the tank off. I am glad I double checked, I was sold Gold coolant concentrate instead of Orange. The parts counter guy even looked it up and made comment to different coolants being used either in general or in the Focus. Either way the owners manual and sticker on the coolant tank confirmed the use of the Orange coolant.

#11 ·
if this ever happen again, you can allways use the same coolant that I use, its RadGlobal Gold (not a color, just a brand) 50/50 pre charged coolant

its universal (the coolant itself is transparent) and is compatible with ethylene glycol / Dex cool and OAT/NOAT coolant (orange coolant being ethylene glycol / OAT coolant)

here a pic and the spec sheet:

http://www.hall-chem.com/images/Fiches technique/RA291 E.pdf

#12 ·
I had the same problem with a Toyota dealership a few years ago. If you can't trust them to do the small stuff correctly then they can't be trusted with my car. A Ford service tech didn't reset my oil monitor so it came on at 5000. It is these simply things that cause owners to lose trust in a service department.

#14 ·
Things like resetting a light shouldn't cause massive distrust in a dealer (things may have been hectic back there and the reset slipped past 'em), it happens every now and then. Besides; I can't tell you how many times I've had to tap YouTube as a reference on an unfamiliar make to ensure I didn't forget... that's also why we're here on the forums: for quicktips and answers!

A person putting the wrong fluid in and potentially hurting the mechanicals; that is cause for concern!

#15 ·
The service advisor poured in some coolant slightly past the "minimum" line, and when he had finished, I noticed it was Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant.
Did you "notice" it on the paperwork or did you actually see him use gold coolant with your two eyes? I ask because most dealerships will take your car back where you can't see what's being done to it and unless something about gold coolant is on the paperwork, the owner will never know that a mistake was made by the dealer. This is what's troubling about leaving the care of your vehicle in someone else's hands.

#16 ·
Another reason I do all my own work on my vehicles..[V]

I always say if you want it done right you do it yourself.

#22 ·
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that I'm here to do what I can to help. If you'd like me to document your feedback about your experience at a dealership I'm happy to do so; send me a PM with your name, phone number, the dealership name/location, and any details you'd like to include.

Crystal

#24 ·
Topping it off yourself would have probably been better than taking all of that time to go to the dealership. Just find the correct coolant and pour it on in, almost as easy as filling up your gasoline! Just don't do it when engine is hot lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.