Focus Fanatics Forum banner

So how do you like your Tune??

21K views 161 replies 36 participants last post by  yoshi1015 
#1 ·
Since I and diesel have a tune from injected that we're testing for them and SCT has a tune for the 5spd I was wondering how the people with their tune like it so far. Just want feedback from others who have had a shop do the SCT tune.

#5 ·
The only person I know that has a SCT tune is RED.

I don't believe Tom has a tuned focus yet.

#9 ·
When I spoke with Tom he was getting ready to work on one, that was about a week or so ago.

In regards to my observations about my tune that SCT did for my car. Overall I am completely satisfied with the car. The throttle delay is gone so when I hit the gas there is no hesitation like there was before. The red line was moved up to about 7k and the car pulls hard and smooth till red line. Normal day to day driving experiences have been nice as the car behaviors stayed close to stock. Gas milage has improved slightly as well. On my daily commute to work I'm avg about 31mpg mixed where before it was high 29's to low 30's.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

#14 ·
FSwerks had two cars come in but their ECM codes had not been added for support from sct, info was sent in to have them added. Randy said this last week.

#16 ·
Pretty much waiting on availability of FSWERKS programming on the SCT devices for our two-women owned Focus here. :) Once it's tuned, I'll be sure to give the community a thorough write-up.

#17 ·
I think you will be waiting a while for fswerks since I think the SCT tune didn't support the the two 5spd's that came to their shop. Injected has loaded their tunes on 4 different ECM codes already. Their store is up so I think the it won't be to much longer till their device is out.

#30 ·
Randy had 1 auto and 1 manual come in. For the auto it is known that we do not support it yet. The manual is being added.

We are flashing vehicles with what is supposed to be there and not changing the strategy like some shops or companies have done in the past. This only begs for problems when equizzer values are different.

It is virtually impossible to have each and every strategy file readily available to as time progresses, codes will need to be added.
Not being rude but you guys kept us in the dark for quite a long time and when someone else starts bringing out a tune you all of a sudden have one that hasn't even been able to be loaded on another Focus besides Red and your dyno graph looks misleading to me. These are in no way the opinions of injected!!! These are my opinions as a customer.

#47 ·
Not being rude but you guys kept us in the dark for quite a long time and when someone else starts bringing out a tune you all of a sudden have one that hasn't even been able to be loaded on another Focus besides Red and your dyno graph looks misleading to me. These are in no way the opinions of injected!!! These are my opinions as a customer.
We as SCT are not releasing a tune. We have released the software to allow our dealers to do so. Our press release was proof of concept showing that the cars can be tuned by our software and that gains can be made.

Any time I was ever asked if we were working on the MK3 my response was yes; I simply could not quote a release date. Another shop (that is also one of our dealers) releasing something through one of our competitors had nothing to do with us releasing anything.

The dyno graph was done in 4th gear and stock it hit a speed limiter; tuned it did not.

#22 ·
This is why sct asked members to provide them their ECU codes to make sure everything was supported. One of the main reasons of the delay for release.
This is one of the advantages injected have at the moment being the only ones they can add support when a user visits their shop.

#24 ·
Not saying that, just at this point since you are not going through dealers you can support and update directly.

#28 ·
Mine was one of the cars brought in to fswerks but I have the dct. I was told Randy took some Info and sent it into sct. I've offered to bring my car back in if/when they get an update from Sct but haven't heard anything back.

#37 ·
Only thing we can do is wait for it to hit the market and get unbiased dyno graphs. I also raised the question why they used 87octane for the 1st pull and 93 octane for the final. Someone stated that it was because that's what the car was dropped off with. Either have the owner refill it up with 93 or run the final pull with 87. Maybe it wouldn't have made a huge difference but in testing certain variables should always remain constant.

#39 ·
First run was before the tune in forth gear, so it hit the speed limiter at 118mph in forth gear. Second run is with the tune where limiter was moved up there for able to ride forth gear to around 130mph. Not misleading, believe the same discussion took place in the injected tuning thread.

Being objective both companies did the same thing, dyno'ed in forth gear before and after tune. So can't say one is misleading and the other isn't.

#40 ·
That was a very reasonable response. I'm wasn't trying to argue. What I'm not a fan of or happy with is SCT. I don't like how they kept us in the dark. I really don't like how they try to discredit another company working on a tune for us and make blanket assumptions of how that company is doing their tune. When I stated that FSWERKS couldn't tune the 5spd that came in, that was fact and is on their Facebook page. Blivit and others have made a lot of assumptions about injected's tune that come off as bashing.

#43 ·
I think people drastically misunderstand the purpose of tuning. The purpose of tuning your vehicle is to optimize your setup in your particular location (density altitude/temperature).

Picking your tuning software based on who was able to squeak the most hp/tq (peak or under the curve) is sort of ridiculous. Pick the software with the best features, with the best hardware, with the best price, with the best customer service, with the control of the ECU.... ect... ect.

There are a million (or at least a dozen) different reason why you could pick one software over another... but dyno numbers should really be your last concern.

#44 ·
Very well said. I have tuned a few different cars now and I will be tuning my focus when I have the opportunity. I have always cared less about peak HP. What matters to me most is reliability and drivability, especially with an NA car.

#50 ·
6 months from now people will be able to see a lot better what turned out best and which tuners are doing the better job

Like some one else said , anyone that looks at dynos to make there decision about what tuner or software to go with may miss out on a lot , you never pick a tuner by the dynos , a tuner will never post anything but there absolute best dyno and most of the other Foci will not make those gains as no 2 Foci are the same

never in 13 years of tuning the Focus have I posted a NA dyno with added mods and a tune to show what a tune will do there far to misleading , and this is what I mean so no one gets hurt feelings

Say a dyno is posted all stock engine of say 15HP and 13TQ , you dyno your car before the tune and then add the tune and you only get 5HP and 3 Tq , your going to be pissed , you call the company and then you hear , yes thats normal not all Foci will make the same gains as posted

This is why I do full custom tuning to each and every car not canned tuning , I get you the most you can have with your car , mods , driving style

Tom

#58 · (Edited)
Got my Injected Engineering tuner

Unboxing...

Size comparison. It's SMALL...

The ports...

Some pics of it in action. This device loads FAST. I have used various SCT and Hypertech tuners, and this is by far the fastest I have ever used. 4 tunes on the device: stock, 87, 93, and 1500 rpm idle for intake valve cleaning (for use with Injected's cleaning kit)...

I haven't had much seat time. I am using the 87 octane tune until I get a full tank of 93 in there. My commute to and from work is a little over 25 miles one way on a curvy an hilly two lane (Route 33 in WV). Today I loaded the tune at work on my lunch break and drove with it home. But, I got stuck in construction and behind a lot of traffic. I need more seat time. I did drive it in town a little, drove in D, S, and Manual. Got to do a couple of WOT passes (one in D and one in Manual). Impressions thus far:

1. Power: more is there, but without a dyno, I cannot say how much. The engine revs so much quicker and much more seamlessly. You give it the throttle and it just goes. It doesn't hesitate. Injected is working on more and I can't wait. There is more there waiting.

2. Drivability: much better with excellent throttle response and no hesitation. When I first started it after flashing it took about 30 seconds for everything to settle in and then it was great. Idle is about 50-75rpm more which is welcome.

3. Shifting: no DCT tuning yet, but the drivability improvements to the engine have improved the action of the transmission. Considering it has to relearn after a flash, it is already much better than it was.

I will report more in a couple of days. Right now things look great and I give kudos to Injected for their efforts and hard work. Fantastic work guys! [clap]

Update 5/22/13:

I just filled up with 93 again and should be good to go. I just loaded the 93 tune on my break and I will try it out on the way home today and while doing some school visits here in town.

The 87 tune is not going to show any huge gains at the top end right now (but they are still fiddling with everything and if you knew the sheer number of parameters they have to deal with you would be amazed they are even trying all of this), but the greatest gains so far are with drivability and area under the curve. The car is much more responsive and a joy to drive. Smoother too.

I can't wait to see what the 93 tune brings since they are telling me that I will see a pretty good difference.

And before anyone says that SCT got a 17hp gain on their tune, remember that their car was modified (mine is too) and their baseline was with 87 octane. The tune dyno was with 93 and they revved the engine out beyond the cut off for their baseline. I know _RED_ himself is being realistic about all of it and so should we. Both companies are doing good work we should be happy about. Compare apples to apples guys. Besides, like I have said before: different car, different dyno, different day. You cannot race a dyno sheet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.