Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Performance catalytic converter for 03 ZX3

5K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Dardas 
#1 ·
im gonna need a new cat soon because mine is very rusted and its something i am going to have to replace down the road within this year. I want to get a performance one and i saw some magnaflow converters but none are for an 03 ZX3 2.0 w/automatic transmission. Does anyone know of a performance cat that will fit my car (direct fit)?? links would be appreciated.

#7 ·
The catalytic converter listed by TerryB is still legal. The only difference between the two is that the other one has a CARB(California Air Restrictions Board) number on it. That is needed to pass vehicle inspections in the state of California only. The converters that TerryB gave a link to is ok to use in New York.

#13 ·
the shorty headers provide almost to no gain in performance. i think it was measured in the 1-2 HP vs a SVT system that is still 50 state compliant that can add 15-18HP

$230 for Cat + $180 for Shorty Header = $410. SVT header, Cat & Flex are selling for about $350 in the for sale section. left over money would cover shipping costs and the SVT dip stick and other minor things you might find.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308505

#14 ·
if i was to buy an SVT header for a ZX3 zetec, is it direct bolt on installation and is there anything else required when installing an SVT header? im fine with leaving the stock headers if i only get 2HP increase not worth the money on a short header. all i know is i need a new cat and the one im planning on getting is the magnaflow for around $300 with shipping and is direct bolt on installation.

#15 ·
ye i know that they don't produce a lot of gain compared to the svt set up that's why i got myself that set up, but when i purchased the elderbrock shorty i was just thinking to do direct bolt on, its still more flow then stock i could do 150 plus shipping. send me your zip to see how much
and no they svt header isnt direct bolt on you need to buy svt header, svt cat it relocates it under the car and you need svt flex pipe with minor modification to it to be able to bolt on to a zetec catback or stock exhaust plus u need to ether bend the ps line or get and svt one all soo u need a svt dipstick.
so if your just looking for direct bolt on the svt set up isnt that but it will get you the most whp.

#16 ·
ye i know that they don't produce a lot of gain compared to the svt set up that's why i got myself that set up, but when i purchased the elderbrock shorty i was just thinking to do direct bolt on, its still more flow then stock i could do 150 plus shipping.
and no they svt header isnt direct bolt on you need to buy svt header, svt cat it relocates it under the car and you need svt flex pipe with minor modification to it to be able to bolt on to a zetec catback or stock exhaust plus u need to ether bend the ps line or get and svt one all soo u need a svt dipstick.
so if your just looking for direct bolt on the svt set up isnt that but it will get you the most whp.
forgot to mention you will also have to ether get a bung welded in on the svt header , get an 02 extension or have a tuner and turn it off or you will have cel forever. but its all up too you if your looking only for direct bolt on or have fun doing some work on your car. i cant wait till spring comes to put mine on

#17 ·
yeah i would definitely do an SVT setup but thats quite a bit of money that i dont have to do it and isnt gonna be a simple bolt on installation like i imagined. i do need a new cat like i mentioned, i already have a new stock so just for the heck of it i might buy the shorty header like you mentioned as well so i have a complete new exhaust form head to tail.

I already have the cat picked out heres the link for it: http://www.focusraceparts.com/index...d=7551&zenid=564e9d93457868847cc9128d74f9ce5c

as for the shorty header, id prefer to buy one new.. now you say you have one? my zip code is 12801

#21 ·
so i checked how much for shipping would only be 34.31 so 184.31 to you, and its brand new never used. i have the install instructions and stickers that says its for a 00-02 ford focus zx3 but i know for a fact that it fits any focus model that has a 16v zetec so 00-04
The link that you put for the cat is correct it will bolt right up to header and flex.
As for direct bolt on headers that increase hp they are all long tube 4-2-1 and their for have to relocate or erase the cat like magus2727 previously said.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308314
there is a link to svt setup for you in bst, it just depends what you would like to do.

#18 ·
You don't need the EGR, you can just make a block off plate. A uses SVT set up will still cost you less even with the little bit of work needed. Its up to you. I would not waste Amy money on a shorty header... also not to doubt homelessmonkey but that shorty header does not quite look like it would fit a zetec. The runners look like they go way to high above the motor....

#20 ·
There are a hand full but most remove the CAT and require a MIL eliminator. If you dont have any emissions then its not that bad... but if you do then you cant really do that. The SVT header is really not that hard. Hundreds of people on here have done the swap, and there are lots of write ups and how too's.

#22 ·
Your looking at $184.31 for the Shorty header, $285.01 for the CAT, & $28.61 for the shipping of the CAT. That's $497.93 you can easily do the SVT conversion for cheaper then that.

The previous link I sent was $210 + Shipping. He is in PA you could drive if you wanted (might be cheaper then shipping?)

assume $60 shipping, your at $270. $10 for SVT oil dip stick, $60 for new PS line (you could just "bend" it also as an option). $20-$30 for an exhaust shop to fix the flex and $20-30 to install a EGR Bung. $10 in wire to extend the 02 sensors. You are at $410, almost $100 still cheaper then going with the shorty header and replacement cat.

#23 ·
Im with magus2727 on this cause i went with the svt set up i got mine for 350 (header,cat,flex) on the bst, as for the price you could get it for around that just need an svt dipstick 10$ as for the flex you could fix the back flange with a dremel and i checked more on the 02 wiring and you could just make the original on fit. then just new gaskets and you are all set oh and header wrap for sure.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1416&pictureid=9090
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1416&pictureid=9089

But again we are just saying that you will see more hp gain out of a long tube set up, but it all comes down to you, what you want to do to your car we are simply giving you some answers for your questions.

#24 ·
ok, but thats if i buy a used SVT header and setup.. i want to buy a new setup, not used. i looked at the one for sale and doesnt look in the best condition. dont get me wrong, i want to do the SVT setup for the horsepower but if i am to buy it brand new what kinda price are we talking?

#25 ·
Brand new?

New header runs in the $230 I think, new CAT (dont know) flex is $240 something.....

Talk to Steve and Tousley Ford and can get things at just above cost and does not charge for handling and has low shipping costs.

Why are you concerned on used or not? you can shop around or wait and better "looking" may come up. People are also always parting out SVT's or going to Turbo set up so sell their perfectly good working condition stuff. Its exhaust, 100 miles its not going to look as shiny as the pictures show it.

#26 ·
All and all, the SVT setup is not gonna be such an easy task as i want. theres quite a bit of things i have to do and the direct bolt performance cat and short header would be the best option for me at the time. 10 horsepower isnt a high enough difference for me to go through the trouble.

With that said, i know i want that Cat i already have picked out. as for the shorty header, do you know the best one i can get that will show the most significant power that will be direct bolt installation? i want to make the installation as simple as possible.

#27 ·
Dont get a short. if you dont want to go a full length or SVT just stay with the stock.

Most power out of a "short" header is going to be a wash and is not worth the money... not to mention you still have to pull the exhaust manifold off and will want to replace that gasket also and may have problems getting the bolts out (other have).

The SVT is NOT that difficult. and their is no harm in going used. but if you want new then just get the cat and call it the day.

#28 ·
brand new from cfm 1,026.85 plus shipping, gaskets, dipstick. 316 header, 159 flex , 550 cat !! dam expensive but better then what ford wants for oem like 1000 plus. your wait better to go with a used svt set up its made from stainless steel so there will be a little rust but nothing a little elbow grease wont fix if your looking for that shine look you could clean them up and paint them with header paint. but if i was you i would get header wrap and wrap the headers cause of the ps line being to close. so it doesnt really matter if you get used or new for the headers cause you should wrap them.

#29 ·
hmm... not sure.. i might just end up getting that new cat and ending it at that. dont wanna deal with the hassle of the SVT and all the parts but i have some time to think it over.. not gonna be able to buy anything for another month or so but thanks guys for helping me decide and answering my questions.

i might actually use some money but just buying a cat and upgrade my old seats and find a pair of used SVT seats on the forums to swap for the heck of it.

#30 ·
Good luck on the seats... I have had my eye on a set of black w/ blue inserts for my car for over 4 years. usually people just want pick up on those and most of them are a days + drive for me. might have better luck on the east cost....

the SVT exhaust is the #1 most recommended modification to the Zetec followed by intake and cat back and a Tune. personally I would not put a penny into an exhaust system that was not the SVT conversion. Needing a new cat would be the push to do the conversion.

#31 ·
Yeah thats why im gonna think about it.. as for the seats ive always wanted SVT seats and saw some for sale under the parts section.. im hope they can ship them they were red inserts for $200 not including shipping and the car only had 65K on it. if that doesnt work out i will keep looking.

Do you happen to know if the swap with the SVT seats is easy process? not including any wiring because the SVT are powered. therefore it is not mandatory to have power to them

#32 ·
Dont know on that. I think its fairly straight forward. I know there are some tricks to the back seats I think, but the fronts are fairly straight forward....

I also want to get the SVT seats to fix the fact my levers on my front seats broke and took the porous crappy cast of a mounting feature along with them. Have never looked enough at it to figure out how to fix that yet either... need a motor in it first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.