Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to install foam speaker baffles in front doors

28K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MisterJohnson 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed new 6x8's in the front doors of my '04 ZX3, and I used the foam baffles from Crutchfield.com

There are two ways to do this, and I picked the hard way, I'll give you the easier way at the end.

There are other threads for removing door panels, so I'll leave that part out

For this version you'll need duck tape, longer screws, washers (if the screw heads aren't big enough), scissors, and your speaker's spacer (shown here)

IMPORTANT! Roll down the window before you start or you won't know how deep the baffles can go!

Here are the speaker, crossover, and baffle I used

Here you see how the baffles are too deep to fit the front door properly

Cut the top off the baffle so there's about 3/4" protruding

Use your scissors and make cuts in the top of the foam approximately 3/4" long about every 1" -1 1/2", then slide the spacer up the baffle and use strips of duck tape to fold the foam over the spacer

Finished it should look something like this

Now stick it in your door

And install the speaker with the longer screws and the washers.

I didn't want to punch a hole in the baffle, so I ran the wires out the front between the speaker and the baffle. The foam is thick enough that the wires don't create a gap.

For the easier way:
If you don't want/don't need to use the spacer, go ahead and do the cuts in the foam and then tape the flaps to the door panel. Then just install the speaker as normal.

If you're curious how I attached the crossover:
I made sure there would be enough space for it with the trim panel in place, then I checked behind the steel panel and made sure there was nothing in the way for drilling. Then I drilled holes and used zip-ties to secure the crossover. When drilling each hole you'll have to stop part way and remove the gorilla snot from the drill bit.

If you have manual roll up windows, here's a tip to make your life easier when re-installing the trim panel:
Put the clip back in the handle before you put the handle in place, then just snap the handle on. You don't have to squeeze the clip on through that tiny gap with the handle already on the door!

See less See more
#3 ·
How much of a difference in sound quality does this make? I have the stockers in the doors still and they sound good for a daily driver, but if I can improve on the sound I will try it.

#4 ·
I don't think dynamat would make much difference on the front door as it's already coated in black goop and then covered with a layer of foam (on my car anyway).

I'm not sure how much of a difference the foam baffles make in the sound quality, I didn't do a comparison, I did the baffles and new speakers at the same time. It just seems like they would give you a little tighter bass and in the front door especially it seems like they would be good protection from moisture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.