Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - how to get svt performance out of a zetec?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm not sure what lanting90 has for mods (I'm almost positive he doesn't have cams), but I matched up with him. My SVT has a few go-fast goodies. It's probably an unfair comparison because I had winter tires on at the time, but from a stop he clearly had the advantage. Once up to speed, I had the advantage. Nobody was "killing" anybody, but he pulled away quicker off the line and I was pulling when I was in 3rd - perhaps the rear tires that were installed backwards (directional tread) on lantings car helped him on the launch and hurt him at speed (you fix that btw?). It was all done in fun anyways. I know my car isn't the fastest. If I wanted a fun car, I'd find an inexpensive ZX3, gut the interior (remove back seat at least) and do a V8 conversion... probably should have went that route... be about the same price as my SVT with the goodies (what I'm looking at doing at least).

Overall, the SVT engine is good stock and doesn't really respond to aftermarket mods well - tune excluded. The exhaust is pretty good and the only thing I'd swap out is the cat. Those are probably the only power mods needed if you want to stay N/A (well, cams and cam gears would be nice, but they are more difficult to install). I regret not saving my money and getting forced induction right away, but I wanted more power (why else would I be called the Toolman?) and came across some sweet deals on used parts.

Next mod will be a Binford 3000 leaf blower - aka electric supercharger.