View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks, Aaron. I posted up the question on the local forums, and if I don't get a response from the director, I'll be sure to e-mail him about it.

----------------------

"The ford racing wires are just bigger wires, I don't know if that means you're going to get a bigger spark though. You might just be getting the benefit of having a larger wire able to carry a little more voltage."

From my understanding, a larger wire will allow more current flow (not voltage since voltage is a potential difference) through the wire. I've been told the electrons on the outside of the wire flow rather than the electrons that actually compose the wire. The larger surface area therefore increases the number of electrons (a larger charge density) to reach the spark plug (more amperage = "hotter" spark). A lower resistance wire will not impede the current flow as much also allowing a for a greater charge density, and a larger surface area on the wire allows for quicker dissipation of heat (not really a mentionable factor for this part).

While I may sound like I know what I'm talking about (or not), I still don't understand why you widen the spark plug gap. The current will still arc the gap with the given the increased potential arriving to the plug, so why is it widened? Does the increase of several thousandths of an inch create that much more time for spark "exposure" to burn more fuel/air? Does the longer gap allow for the spark to be applied to the larger area around it to burn more fuel/air? Does the gap even have a profound effect on the time duration of the spark as to whether or not it will cause combustion over detonation (and I'm not talking about detonation due to a lack of spark not being able to arc the gap)? Am I just dumb and the answer is obvious...?

The only thing I can really think of is that the wider gap causes the spark to burn the fuel/air for a slightly longer duration optimizing the most out of what was pulled into the cylinder. It just seems that the speed at which electricity can travel through the fluid present in the cylinder would not be sensitive enough to be affected by a gap difference of just a few thousandths of an inch. I think I'm just making the explanation too complicated and overlooking the more practical answer.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil