Old 01-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Spark Plug Wires and Grounds Question

So, I'm considering some minor modifications to just the wiring on the car. I'm wondering, though, how does this fall into SCCA regulations for autocross?

Basically, I want to redo the ground cables to chassis for the battery and engine, I might do the alternator cable as well, and I might possibly change out the spark plug wires to a Ford Racing 9mm set. I've considered the Screamin' Demon Coil and LiveWires, but the money to purchase it just doesn't seem worth it.

My question is, I'm looking to stay in SCCA Solo II STS class, and I did not find the rule stating whether electrical wire is illegal to modify or not. I was wondering if one or any of these wire "upgrades" would actually place me out of STS.

Also, when upgrading to the Ford Racing spark plug wires (or any better ones for that matter), do you need to reset the gap on the spark plug or leave it at the normal setting? The reason I ask is because of the Screamin' Demon requires the gap to be widened on the plug due to the increase spark, so I assume you'd get an increased spark on the Ford Racing wires as well.

Part of the reason (and please correct me if I'm sadly mistaken) of these changes is based on the fact my audio has been picking up static on quick volume drops (reason for the ground cables), and I have also had the problem with the car almost stalling when braking from high speeds to an almost stop. I have read it will give a minor (almost unnoticeable) performance increase, but more importantly, it can help to improve the driveability of the engine and increase its fuel mileage (the spark plug wires).

Thanks.

SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil