Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How much are you willing to pay for the MK2 Ford Focus ST?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #176
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by mountandriver
If they could put together a powerful turbo motor and throw in a strong awd drivetrain and price it signi[:)][:)][:)]antly less than the srt or the sti I think ford would definatly have a winner.

And yea bring that price down there for the right price ford couldn't make enough of them.
And would you like free gas for a year and a 10 year/200,000 mile warranty with that?

Seriously...the C1 platform ST is like having a Volvo S40 I-5 turbo with a lot more punch...less emphasis on luxury and more on performance. If they brought it here, it would be worth about $32,000-$36,000 depending on options, and it would easily destroy the other domestic FI compacts (SRT-4 and Cobalt SS.)

Its a bit absurd to think that they could make a turbo sport compact with a built motor and an AWD drivetrain, and price it for less than $22,000. The only way you'd even come close to a factory FI Focus for that much here in the 'states is if they started slapping low-boost superchargers on base model Foci with a half-assed tune. I mean, hell, the current NA market "ST" is little more than an '03/'04 PZEV Focus, minus one of the cats with SVT springs and rear disc brakes, and they're charging over $17,000 (MSRP) for that. You have to be insane if you think Ford could make a car with a turbo and AWD and hope to sell it at a profit for anything less than $25,000.

But this is all pretty much useless...like I stated earlier, the best Focus we'll ever see here has already come and gone in the SVT. I wouldn't be surprised if in another five years the Focus is completely phased out and replaced with the European Fiesta (or a new Euro compact if they come out with one), albeit heavily stripped down.