Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Passive rear steer revisited
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #18
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As one side compresses, with the Control Blade, it toes out just a bit, I believe. If you are compressing one side, then you are taking weight off the other, which would have the opposite effect, which would be toe-in. This would get both of them pointing in the same direction, which helps quell understeer. (Don't know a ton about Control Blade, anyone with facts that contradict please post)

Your looking at this process a little later than you need to. By that I mean that it's what the tires are doing before it compresses that makes the most difference. There's a split-second lag between the initiation of the turn and when the car settles to it's max roll level. Static toe-out (I actually reccomend 0 toe in the rear, stock they have toe-in) will be what controls the process at initiation, which really has a lot more effect.

Especially in quick transitions, like in a slalom, the car will only lean a bit in one direction before you have it headed back the other way. The fast line is the one that for the most part has the least actual cornering Gs possible, as in it's the straightest and most flowing line. There are very few situations on the street, road course, or especially the AutoX course when you are going to be sitting their at max roll, at least if you are doing it right. Unless I am in a "carousel", which is a situation for me to induce rear slip and rotation by weight transfer or steering input anyway, not to sit there through a static G load.

So in every situation outside of long and constant radius sweepers, when you are driving right, you're not going to use much dynamic toe change anyway.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Last edited by Carrera26; 11-18-2005 at 10:09 AM.