Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How to: Install an RS center console and Starter button
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
lunarc
Focus Addict

Fan#: 343
What I Drive: 02' Silver SVT RIP 2007

FF Reputation: 1 lunarc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
How to: Install an RS center console and Starter button

Ok i figured i better do a how to on this before i forget where i messed up and what i encountered...first off i could have not done this without the diagram posted by turbo-zx3 (which turns out was posted by Focusonfocus). Start off with the link below if you are thinking of installing the starter button. The only difference is my button has 2 prongs, the s2000 has 3.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Link to general install

http://www.turbozx3.com/tech/s2000install.htm

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Time needed ~1-2 hrs

Tools Needed
Screw drivers (Flat and Phillips)
Torx Screw drivers (Smaller sizes)
Pliars
Circular Saw (or even hand saw)
Wire Strippers/Crimpers

Supplies needed

RS console (if you can find one)
RS Starter button (or equivelent)
1"x2" wood ~12" (needed to mount RS console to stock frame)
2 x 3" Drywall Screws (needed to mount RS console to stock frame)
1 - small piece of plywood or equivelent ~1" thick (needed to mount RS console to stock frame)
10-15 ft of 14-18 gauge wire (different colors optional)
1 x automotive relay (link)
T-Taps (either style works)
Zip ties

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*
Something to add to turbozx3's writeup

How to remove the audio controls on the steering column

You need a smaller flat head screw driver, on the back of the controls there is a small tab in the middle. Instert screw driver in there.

after you instert you will hear a slight "click" and will see it move away from the column.

Pull it away but be carefull...wires are still attached!

to remove simply pinch the longer flat side and it should pull away...always pull by the plug and no the wires

tada!

Installing the center console

I did not take nearly as many pictures as i should have so i will try and explain everything as much as possible. When i purchased the console i figured it should bolt right into the stock location with no modifications. I was wrong, since the RS console has no cup holders and has no rear cup holders the mouting areas are a bit higher than the SVT's. So i figured all i would need is a really long wood screw because the SVT's seemed to have the same holes just a bit higher. Wrong again! Not only were the holes higher up, they were also pushed forward on the RS console. So that meant fabricating something. I figured wood would be the best bet, easy to cut and strong enough to hold.

So i measured out the width of the stock holes and cut the wood so it would rest on top, then i made tabs of wood to stick out towards the front of the car so the screw coming from the console would screw right in.

The screws bolting the hole thing together went right into the plastic holes from the stock screws.

After that i had to figure out a way to get the rear of the console mounted. In comes wood again! I got an 1" thick piece of scrap from Lowes and cut it down to the exact size where the 3 bolts used to come through. After the wood was cut, i aligned it on top and tapped the wood with a hammer to make marks where i would need to drill. I drilled the holes a little bit smaller so the fit would be snug. After drilling i lined it up and slowly tapped the wood down over the bolts. The wood did crack a tiny bit but was still strong.

Ok so mounting points are complete, now for a test fit! Works great...

The button install

As i mentioned i used turbozx3s tutorial and wiring guide...follow that. What i am going to illustrate below is how to install the RS button.
*Disclaimer*
I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong during this process...the vehicle electrical system is very sensetive and if you are not comfortable with working with it DONT DO IT!

Ok with that being said lets move on!

After i connected all the wires to the steering column it was time to wire up the relay to the button.

I put all the wires under the dash and attached them with zip ties along the way to keep them hidden.

The main issue i ran into was where to mount the relay...i wanted to avoid it having contact with any metal surface and for it to be mounted securely. I found it! The shifter has 4 bolts surrounding it, i got the relay and tested it on top of the bolt to make sure it had clearance...it did! So i removed the nut,

The nut had an attached washer that was not going to clear the relay..so i had to remove that with some vice grips and pliars i was able to set it free
its free!

I wired up the relay per instructions, the only difference is, the switch does not have a ground. So i grounded the relay near the fuse panel.

Here is a picture of the relay mounted

Came out really clean and has about 1/4" clearance all the way around the tabs.

after that i took the two wires that were leading to the starter and tried them out

and crossed my fingers...sure enough first try it worked! So i finished everything up tied it all down and made it nice and clean. I still have to fabricate some things to cover up gaps n what not but all in all it was an easy install. Hope it helps guys!

2002 SVT Focus #1848
---------------------------
New ride E36 DINAN BMW, Dinan CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Stg1 Suspension, Dinan Stg1 Chip