Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My "Clean" AutoCross Run 09-04-05
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by engine ear
Looks like tons-o-fun! Do you have a spare set of tires for this or...? What's a good time for that run? What's your best time? Great perspective! Mount the camera to the grill next time.
1) You betchya!
2) No spare tires, well, except my winter set up.
I'm running the new Hankook RS2 tires for daily driver/AutoCross.
3) Fast time of day was 1:26.07 set by a highly modded Mazda RX3.
I bested at 1:27.23, which was good for 6th out of 34.
The course is always set different event to event, so there's no point in comparing times between events.
4) I do like the in-car perspective. It's a great way to "critique" my driving.
As far as the grille, I'd need a whole different mount, and a way to stop the wind noise.
My headrest mount was FREE...>>>Clicky

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera26
WD40 - Could be wrong, but it still looks to me like you're coming in too hot on your corners. After riding with some really experienced guys, they had me slow way down, to where I only get a hint of squeal now and just for a moment. It felt so wrong, especially as I thought I was going very conservatively already, but I made a massive improvement. They just knocked it into my head that you cannot be sliding/squealing and getting good acceleration through a corner at the same time.
I think I asked this before, but what's the best place to post them for max resolution and quality?
1) I appreciate the observation! Thanks!
Yep. It doesn't feel like I'm waiting that long in the car to brake, but when I see the video,
it's rather obvious I'm coming in too hot, and at an early apex, versus late apex.
(Yeah, I've been reading that Secrets of Solo Racing book by Henry A Watts.)

2) I sure like the site where I've been hosting mine.
It also helped that people are "saving" instead of "opening" from the link.
Click on the "WWW" button in my profile.
That'll take you to the SuperMotors (formerly SuperFord) site.
All you have to do is register. It's free, unless you want some upgraded features.
Video limit is 40mb. I've been trying to keep mine at 10mb, so they don't take so long to download.