Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #547
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunCW78 View Post
I know a lot of people like to put performance mods on their cars, but it just doesn't appeal to me. if I wanted a faster car, I would have gotten one to begin with. body/paint/wheel mods are okay because they individualize your ride. plus, when you try to performance out your car, you kill the mpg. I just cant see getting a cheap on gas car and making it get the same mpg as a challenger or Camaro or something like that. kinda kills the point. might as well have just got the faster car. just my 2 cents though.
Morning Shaun, there are some car mods that actually can increase mileage. Factory built engines serve a lot of masters, some of whose goals are economy of manufacture and also one size fits all tuning.

One example is the traditional old cast iron exhaust manifold. It is often just rough iron exit piping, shaped all wrong. When you add headers, they are smooth tubing shaped to let the exhaust gases escape as efficiently as possible, which in turn leads to more air being able to get in and netter combustion.

Headers usually go hand in hand with a more efficient exhaust system as well, further reducing back pressure to the engine.

Conversely a better intake manifold aids intake/exhaust for the same reason.

Along these same lines is an item popular these days with import tuners (and american cars as well) the cold air intake. Within reason, the cooler the air that goes into the combustion process, the more air available to combust. Cold air intakes usually draw air from down by the number, which is better than hot air drawn in from the engine compartment.

Each of the devices above can actually increase mileage, because they are increasing the efficiency of the existing process.

That being said, I'd fall into your opinion however, of preferring a car all tricked out by the factory, like my 1900 mustang GT which came from the factory with roller cams, stainless steel headers and anti-windup bars on the rear axle.

Unless you have a great deal of money to spend, nothing beats a factory built and designed performance car, as they have the inside track to properly blending all the go fast parts to work together