Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - MPG poll
Thread: MPG poll
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #55
DrRay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000FordFocus
I have a ATX Zetec 2000 focus, using regular gas, and drives 80% city and 20% highway... In my last tank, I got 30mpg! see my chart! get better mileage as weather gets warmer!
That is in part because you are getting more gas. Pumps give you _corrected_ measures to 72F. Read the fine print on the pump. So while you pay for 40 litres, you may only get 38 when its cold. The rest is air temp.

One thing I found recently is that the EGR pressure sensor problem affecting most 2000-2002 Focus can really affect fuel economy, before the sensor actually fails. The problem is that if the EGR fails it will be fixed under warranty, but if it needs to be replaced out of warranty is $120 for the replacement kit, because the new EGR won't fit in the old rig. In Canada, Ford extended the warranty to 40,000 km (just 26,400 miles), but mine failed at 47000-so I got bent over the parts counter...fuel economy and power went up with the new EGR.

There may be a recall coming on this, the NTHSA has several open investigations on EGR failure causing stalling, power steering loss and crashes.