StoneRyno
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21543
What I Drive: 2005 sangria red zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 1 StoneRyno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
If I recall correctly, manual says avoid driving hard and avoid very steady speed driving during break in period. If I were you, I would just use different shifting habit every time for the remainder of the break in period. (i.e. use 4th cruising at 50mph for a bit, use 5th the other time, etc.)
Oh I hadn't thought of that. i thought it meant to just make sure not to keep the car at a contant speed for those miles. Example: don't drive like 65 mph for all or nearly all of it. I figured since to and from work was all city driving this was sufficient enough for the break in period.

Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
Every car does this. Cold block doesn't allow gasoline to atomize good enough to sustain a stable idle at regular speed. So the computer automatically fast-idles until the engine block is sufficiently warm. Don't even think about driving hard during this warm up phase. Better yet, wait a few minutes after the coolant gauge reads normal temperature before giving it any spirited driving. Engine is made of metal and it expands and contracts with changing temperature. It's designed in such way that optimal clearance between parts are obtained at normal operating temperature. Such thing like burning out in a parking lot after a cold start to show off is incredibly bad for your engine.
I guess i never really noticed my pervious cars idling higher at 1st startup. I guess having a gauge that shows rpms makes all the difference on what you notice. I've not done any hard driving in it yet. I did take it out on the freeway the other day and gave it a good 10 mile run at 70 mph. It'd be sweet to just flat out fly down the freeway but it just be my luck to get pulled over for speeding. :)