Fan#: 21543
What I Drive: 2005 sangria red zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 1 StoneRyno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
my recent fill up:
2003 ZX3
34mpg, 160miles on freeway cruising at 65mph, (me + 2 passengers in car)

Technique I use:
get it rolling in 1st, then immediately into 2nd
50-75% gas, shift into 3rd around 3,000RPM
give 75% gas, then shift into 4th around 2800
give 75% gas, then shift into 5th around 2800

You'll have to shift pretty quickly to do this.

Do not give it 100% gas as that might tell the computer to enrichen the fuel mixture.

Contrary to common beliefs, higher throttle opening isn't bad for fuel economy, but letting it rev high in each gear is.
I'm not sure how much I'm pressing down on the gas petal, probably about 50%. I'm in 1st for only a couple seconds as it shoots up to 3000 rpms real quick. 2nd to 3rd is also pretty quick to 3000 rpms maybe like about 5 seconds at most? 3rd to 4th probably about the same time to 3000 rpms. At this point if I'm holding steady at 35mph+ I'll shift up to 5th. If I'm accellerating for speeds above 40mpg I'll wait to shift to 5th at 45mph+. I don't know as of yet if shifting pattern has any effect on mpg. This tank is close to fillup time. I may have 1mpg gain on this tank by guesstimation based on the gas gauge possion and the miles on the tank. Then again as someone pointed out that mpg can go up with a brand new car. I assume this may have something to do with breaking in the engine?

On thing I noticed and I don't know why it does this. When I start the car after it has been sitting for a long time like over night or after work and the car hasn't been running for a good 4 hours or more, the engine starts off idling at close to 2000 rpms. After a couple minutes of driving and get stuck at my 1st stop light it idles at 750 rpms.