View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
SQFocusZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4729
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 SQFocusZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
re #1: for negative triggered door locks (ie. focus), the wire should have positive voltage when the door is closed (the door pin is pushed in). the wire should go to 0v (ground) when the door is open (the door pin is at its 'rest' state). therefore, strip back some of the insulation on the suspected wire. set the voltmeter to DC volts. place the red probe of the meter on this wire. place the black probe on a solid grounding point (no paint!). Assuming you're doing this with the door open, the correct wire will show 0v when the door is open, and when you push the plunger (from the door pin) inwards, it should show positive voltage. as mentioned in my above post, in my focus, it was around 4v (with the pin pushed in)

re #2: the trunk pin is also negative, so it will test the same was as the doors... positive voltage will be seen on the wire with the trunk closed, 0v when the trunk is open. i'm not looking at the information at the moment, but the wire is found at the light in the hatch/trunk. go from there.

re #3: how many ignition keys do you already have for the vehicle? if you have only one, the ONLY way to make a duplicate key is to have ford do it for you. if you have two keys already, then, using the bypass module you can program the new keys...

-john
SQF

Certified MASTER Installer
one of 72 in the world...