Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Looking to buy Focus Wagon
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM  
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
06-07. 08+ Wagons were not offered.

I didn't say 05 because the first year there were some "problems". Not real problems, just that the improvements in 06 and 07 are worth finding one of those if possible. The ATX always has it's problems, but those aren't real problems- it's the same for all modern automatics, the shift solenoids can fail. This one has no more problems than others. Another issue is the wrong fluid being used by oil change places. I would recommend always taking the car in to a dealer for AT fluid/filter changes if you're not doing it yourself.

ALL Focus wagons have issues with eating up rear tires. This can be solved by purchasing and installing one of 2 parts. 1) Adjustable upper control arms which cost about $180/pr and are cheaper to install. 2) Adjustable camber bolt which costs about $14, but requires cutting a part off of the brake backing plate. Not a big deal really, the directions explain it all. After that the camber can be set to -1 and you won't eat up tires on the inside of the tread in the rear.

The specific issues that I referred to with the 05 are more of a matter of inconvenience. There is a long/hard start issue that is only in this YM. I've been dealing with it for 160k miles. I don't even flinch any more. I turn the engine over, if it doesn't start in 1 sec, then I stop, turn off, and crank again- it always starts immediately. If you don't follow that procedure, then you can crank for 10 secs or so, and sometimes it starts- sometimes not. It will always start when you turn it off and start a second time. This has to do with too much air being allowed in so the startup mix is not rich enough. It's worse in cold weather with a cold engine.

The second 05 only issue is that the thermostat is 160F instead of 194F. This reduces fuel economy, and makes it take longer to warm the cabin in cold weather. It was changed in 06 with the addition of a temp sensor in the thermostat housing. Brace yourself- for the 05 the thermostat housing and thermostat (one piece) is $175. For the 06-07 it is $225. Replacement requires the removal of the intake manifold as well!!! Fortunately I haven't had to change mine in 170k miles. In fact I haven't changed much in 170k miles and 9 years that is out of the ordinary.

Alternator went at 140k or so.
CV axles went at 120k
I replaced the battery at the same time as the alternator.
The serpentine belt was replaced at 120k with the alternator.
Coil boots ($5ea) were replaced at 80k, and need some now.
The belt tensioner was replaced at the same time because I'm nutty like that.
The radio went out at about 150k.
The license plate lights went out at about 90k or so.
Shocks were replaced for HP shocks at 50k when I put the SVT 4 whl disc brake kit on.

That's about all I can think of. There are things wrong with my car that haven't been fixed, like the shifter boot (5 spd) broke and I haven't installed a new one yet. These cars don't have the ignition switch problems of the 00-04 models.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.