Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Worth buying a lightened flywheel when turboing?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #9
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechanic
using a light weight flywheel will increase your turbo lag a very slight amount. a heavier flywheel puts more load on an engine, causing it create more exhaust which spools the turbo up faster. of course the extra revvability of the engine will overcome most of that extra lag and get you up to spool a bit quicker, so like I said, it'll be a VERY slighty difference. personally I'd go for the light flywheel because the it'll actually relieve some of the stress on the engine, increasing its longevity.
Correct, but then you contradicted yourself. The extra revability will not overcome the slower spool-up.
You were accurate the decreased load thanks to the lighter flywheel will delay boost a little bit, that's it end of story. The increased revability will mean the car revs faster when the clutch is depressed, but with the clutch engaged the lightened flywheel is nothing but a cog in gear set. Yes less rotating mass, and quicker acceleration given the same horsepower, but you will still see slower turbo spool up. It's not a huge difference, but it is definately a bit slower.

Is it worth it?? Depends. What are you looking to do?
If I were just daily driving and doing drag racing, then I wouldnt' do it. If wanted to use my car on a road course where the heel-toe technique comes into play, then definately do it!