Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Supercharging the ZX3...go powerworks or procharger, and how to upgrade once install
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
belacyrf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Personally, and this is my opinion. I do not like the procharger intercooler location.

And an intercooled Roots blower (while I dont like roots blowers) their biggest enemy is heat. Now you can't help the inefficiencies inherant in a roots blower BUT the fact that it's intercooled helps alot! And remember it's an intercooler sandwich which means the air only travels maybe 3 or 4 inches from blower to manifold while passing through the intercooler. There is no long distance for the air to travel.

Each system allows pulley upgrades.
Each system can have the intercooler upgraded (procharger can be made to work with a front mount). And Powerworks if you just upgrade the heat exchange and possible move it (I dont remember where it's located). You'll get better cooling.

I say go with what you can afford. I used to be very very skeptical about centrifugal chargers because of the lack of low-end torque. But there is something very fun about feeling boost build as RPMs increase. While the fun factor of low end torque can't be understated enough. So both power deliveries have their advantages when it comes to the "fun factor".

I say get what makes you happy. The powerworks is CARB approved if that matters to you and procharger says it will be but it's not as of now, and might never be.

The last thing I will say about the two is given the same "peak" horsepower figures (which these two are kinda close but the Powerworks puts out a bit more power out of the box) the Powerworks will be alot "faster". Because they have alot more torque than the procharger alot earlier. The the powerworks is a faster setup. And that blower whine is just cool ;)

But like I said I love the "feel" of centrifugals. Crappy low end but that feeling a boost builds is quite a rush :D

oh and BTW.. procharger is tune using 91 as well otherwise they couldn't sell it in california.

Good luck.

Last edited by belacyrf; 04-25-2005 at 11:06 AM.