Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Installing starter on a split port ford engine
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
ErnessW
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116853
What I Drive: 2002 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 ErnessW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installing starter on a split port ford engine

Well, here I am again, to see other's experience on putting in a starter on a Ford split port engine. I just finished joining the donner engine back to the transmission. As you all know the split port engine drops valve seats occasionally and I got myself another one to replace the junk one.
I am dumfounded at the design of most of the stuff in this engine. Like right now I just snapped the head off one of the four bolts that holds the support bracket for the incredibly large intake manifold.
I can't believe I have to remove that bracket to wiggle the starter in, and I've got the whole engine and transmission hanging on a chain above the car. You'd think I'd be in a great position to drop in a starter. Nope.
Back to the incredibly large intake manifold on the split port engine. Do you realize how much junk could be removed from that engine by using a carburator instead of fuel injection? I've been looking at the side of that motor for a few days and can't get that thought out of my head. You'd be able to reach over and change the oil fitre (filter) from above for one thing.

Attached Images

Last edited by ErnessW; 12-10-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add another photo