Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Replace original springs when doing struts/shocks?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
syncro87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113430
What I Drive: 05 Wagon auto, 01 Wagon 5-spd

FF Reputation: 4 syncro87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Agreed. Brand name means little anymore in many cases. You're right about appliances as well, from what I can tell. I bought refrigerator not too long ago. I went to a huge store we have here called Nebraska Furniture Mart that carries a bazillion appliance lines. You can buy a fridge there from $750 to $7,500. I managed to snag a fairly straight up sales guy, miraculously. Anyway, we were talking about quality vs price. I told him I didn't mind paying for higher quality. His response was that in his experience, price had little to nothing to do with how long the fridge would last or how few repairs you'd have. It's all junk to a large extent, he said. I had to laugh. He told me they see as many problems or returns on the cheap or expensive units, no difference. His advice was to buy a fairly inexpensive model because they'd all last about 10 years before they died or became uneconomical to repair. Probably true. So I bought the $900 fridge, not the fancy $2000+ unit. They both keep food cold the same and like he said will probably die around the same time. I actually got a GE made in the USA, which was a surprise to me that you could still get a decent US made unit.

So far, I've noticed that Moog suspension parts still seem to be high quality. Who knows how long that will last, though.