Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Replace original springs when doing struts/shocks?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,267, Level 19
Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19 Points: 1,267, Level: 19
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer, but I've used the Monroe Quick units and hated them...I also like OEM strut mounts and bearings vs. either KYB or Monroe, both of which are IMHO inferior...Nothing worse than doing a strut job then getting a clunk in your front end months later due to a cheap failed strut mount or bearing...My factory springs were totally fine, so I didn't change them out.
fair enough. I've used Monroe/Gabriel parts since the '80s, but with all of the corporate mergers and offshoring to China, all of the old reliable US brands are crapshoots nowadays. Home appliances have also fallen into that hole.

I only recommend Monroe to folks on the forum who are looking for an OEM ride; a 10-year old Ford doesn't need any help in going harsher! And I recommend the QuickStruts to anyone with a 10+ year old Focus because of the known recall issue with the factory coil springs collapsing.