Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Went car shopping....
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
carlcarlsson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15883
What I Drive: 2001 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 carlcarlsson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah I have heard some horror stories about the Focus, seems the svt has had a lot of little problems, it was a very ambitious design. Untill recently I worked as a mechanic and to be honest if you can find a car that is mostly trouble free for the first 75k you'r doing very good. To make a sort of blanket statement they all have problems, particularly domestic cars. I was ( and still am) VERY leary of buying the Audi S4 I honestly cannot conceive of a more complex, sophisticated car choice but Rachel loves it(she has become addicted to speed I think,she has life insurance so I should be all set), she knows I have no desire to service this car,she has been duely warned . I have owned a couple of Maserati Bi turbos and am not eager to bring any more turbos into the fold, I already have 1 tempermental XR4Ti and thats enough. The Mini was disapointing in quite a few ways, it was well built but the interior made use of some very cheap plastic, I mean not even focus grade. The pleather seats were rather flat, lacked lower back support and did not hold you in place very well, and of coarse the 1.6 liter is just a joke, it has no place in a modern production car, the current 2.3 found in the focus seems like a monsterous powerplant, good for removing unwanted hemlocks and tree stumps, infinitely more flexable.Then there is the price $21k for a leftover 2004, 3x the cost of my 01 zx3 ($6500 4 months ago), funny I think msrp on a loaded 05 is like $18k.