Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2015 Lincoln MKC Is First Ford Product To Have 2015 Mustang's 2.3 Liter EcoBoost Engine
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #43
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
As for the Ecoboost power debate:
1.6L - 178 HP in the Fusion, 197 HP in the Fiesta ST
2.0L - 240 HP in the Fusion/Escape/Explorer, 252 in the Focus ST
3.5L - 350 ft/lbs in the Flex/Taurus SHO, 420 ft/lbs in the F150
You're right that Ford configures some engines differently for certain types of vehicles; however, it is worth noting that all Ford/Lincoln Vehicles that use the 3.7 V6 are relatively unchanged. Considering the 3.7 was originally exclusive to the Mustang, I'm fairly confident that the 2.3 will carry over unchanged for the pony car as well. If we see a more powerful version of this 2.3 it will most likely be in a Focus RS with 300 or more hp.

Its my opinion that it wouldn't make sense for Ford to put a more powerful turbo 4 cylinder between the V6 and V8 Mustangs.

This is Ford's formula: The Taurus SE starts at $26,700 for a 3.5l V6 with 288hp/254tq 23mpg combined
For $1000 more you can get the SE with a 2.0 EcoBoost with 240hp/270tq 26mpg combined. Nothing else about the car is changed. You are essentially paying more for a "less powerful" engine that offers improved economy.

You can look at examples from Fusion/Edge/Escape/Explorer as well and the option list is the same. All the base models have an optional EcoBoost engine that makes performs roughly the same as the non-turbo counterpart while returning better fuel economy.

I see no reason why Ford would not apply this formula to the Mustang as well.

You could argue that because Ford revised the tuning for the ST engines, the Mustang would receive the same treatment... Please note that the ST trim is the top level. There's no more powerful option than the ST so of course Ford revised the engines. The Mustang, on the other hand, has a 662hp option for thrill-seekers.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.