Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2015 Lincoln MKC Is First Ford Product To Have 2015 Mustang's 2.3 Liter EcoBoost Engine
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
The thing about Cadillac is that the cars ARE technically tarted up Chevrolets.... They all share platforms.
The key difference is that the Cadillacs come first and THEN they are watered down and given a bowtie; not the other way around like Ford is doing with Lincoln.

Also, I'm calling it right now that the 2.3 won't receive more power for the Mustang. 275hp/300tq is way above the capabilities of the current V6 already and any more power would sacrifice any efficiency gains they might be advertising over the V6. I'm guessing with the new Mustang's light-weight and upcoming 10-speed transmissions, the ecoboost mileage will be astronomical.
I think part of the Ford/Lincoln problem is that the Fords are quite good to begin with. The Fusion, Escape, Focus, etc. are all class-leading or near to it in terms of driving dynamics, exterior and interior design, and efficiency. Hard for Lincoln to present a case a for picking them over the Ford.
Whereas with Chevy/Cadillac, the Chevy's are mid-pack daily drivers and cruisers, and the Caddy's are performance-minded cars aimed squarely at taking down BMW.

As for the Ecoboost power debate:
1.6L - 178 HP in the Fusion, 197 HP in the Fiesta ST
2.0L - 240 HP in the Fusion/Escape/Explorer, 252 in the Focus ST
3.5L - 350 ft/lbs in the Flex/Taurus SHO, 420 ft/lbs in the F150

Each model gets a little difference in tune to better fit that application. I'd be very surprised if the 2.3L in the Mustang doesn't have at least 300 HP to match the 3.7's 306 HP, although it will certainly have a torque advantage either way.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune