Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - ST Style "Conversion" bumper on eBay
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #81
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,742, Level 66
Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
@suss

You do realize that the quality of the pictures that were posted are not the greatest. So you're making assumptions on pictures that are sub-par. Wait until OP gets clear pictures, then state your opinion.

Not to mention, you're coming from a MK3 that had a ST swap. Not to mention, own a ST. Of course you're going to nit pick.

Quit raining on the mans parade.
I'm not raining on anyone's parade.

It's quite clear that even if the pictures were not the greatest that there is sufficient evidence to point out the issues with the parts in question. The area around the cover is one such issue, but that's the nature of mixing a used and possibly damaged o.e. piece and a pattern or replica part.

If no one tried the parts other than the ebay ad then it would not be a known quantity, but in their picture it looks like there were fewer fit issues that might be associated with the shop rather than the parts, although there is still the issue of the disappearing gap.

I received much harsher criticism for even thinking of doing the swap let alone after I did it, but that's not why I critiqued his car. There are a few glaring issues with the fit that anyone who knows the car would notice, but might not be obvious to the lay person. And given how much better the parts seem to fit in the supplier's photograph there appears to be some problem with how it was aligned. I'm sure some of this could be better judged and adjusted in person, but like I said before if he likes it then that's all that matters.

It is not a coincidence that I would be interested in seeing how this turned out having followed the first conversion out of necessity (a front end collision in that case that wiped out the entire front end) v.s. mine out of minor necessity, due to damaging the cover a second time right after getting the car back from the shop finally.

Constructive criticism is beneficial and positive. If everyone always agreed with me then I'd be worried that they weren't being honest and that both of us would be wrong. I have not said the o.p. should not have done this conversion ever, and although I'm not as fond of pattern or replica parts in some cases they do have their place. I just wish for his sake that he will be reunited with the car sooner rather than later so he can judge the work he ordered from afar.