Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Running Pennzoil Platinum in your MK3?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 PM  
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

Points 452, Level 9
Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Let's see ford put 2,000 hours on an engine with various starts and stop, allowing the engine to cool, applying load to a cold engine (as many people do when they start it up and immediately take off), etc., and do a teardown
If you read the article, that's exactly what happened. They put the engine on a dyno at max power for 300 hours included repeated cooling to 20 below and heated to 235 degrees, then installed in an F150. That truck was then put to work towing 11k pounds, towing Richard Petty's racecars around Miami Speedway for 1600 miles (averaging over 80mph), and several other real-world testing scenarios.

I'm a little skeptical of torture tests, and this one actually impressed me. For a rough equivalent of over 400,000 consumer miles, I was very shocked at the condition of the engine, being cleaner than I expected it to be. Gotta give props to the engineering team at Ford for that one.