Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - I may know a fix for some of the DCT issues. Hear me out.....
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When in doubt, throw it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
Can anyone else confirm this? I had a feeling that this was the problem. EVERY time I take the car in for any kind of transmission issue, they say they find nothing and reset and or upgrade the software. The car then drives fantastic for a day or so, then it goes back to being a spaz. I've found too that disconnecting the battery for a minute and then re-attaching it results in the same crisp shifting and driveability.

In every other automatic car that I've driven there doesn't seem to be any "adaptive learning" at all. Take the auto Mazda 3 for instance; you press the pedal a certain amount and it reacts a particular way. Press the pedal the same amount a week later (or whenever) and it does the same thing it did last time. With the Focus I've never had any idea how the car was going to react to pedal inputs.

I REALLY hope that adaptive learning is gone. It seems to be nothing but trouble.
Those other automatic transmissions you refer to have a torque converter to take up the slack that anyone (including the TCM for the DCT) driving a manual transmission has to adapt to.

When you drive two different cars with manual transmissions you quickly learn the differences between them, like where in the clutch pedal travel the engagement begins and completes. Since the DCT is a manual transmission that is shifted by a computer rather than the driver, it seems like the TCM would have to have something like that. Otherwise, how will it deal with changes over time due to wear, or differences in manufacturing tolerances from one car to the next?

Seems to me that if it's broke they need to fix it, not throw it out. What is going to take its place to allow for those kinds of differences?

By the way, it is a misconception that the TCM learns someone's driving habits. It learns the characteristics of the car.