Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Why is the American focus de-contented?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
FX4life
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99227
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FX4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotlkn View Post
With the commuting I do, I would love to see the 2.0L Duratorq Diesel Focus here. With the cost of fuel in Europe, people want the most options with the best fuel economy. Here in North America, we have less expensive fuel and larger distances to travel between points.
The problem with bringing diesel compact cars over to the US is marketing. Chevy has the diesel Cruze which is only available in a nice high trim level with lots of toys = lots of money. They market it as a premium car which it really is not. If manufacturers want a diesel to succeed, stop marketing it as a premium option. Cross-shopping the diesel with the gas really doesn't put the diesel in favor price wise. The added cost of the diesel plus the added cost of the toys some people don't care for makes it a non-option. Will it succeed? Time will tell. I'd love to own a diesel Focus but not if it's a $32k Titanium model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I don't feel that the MTX75 is "unfortunate". Yes, it could use another cog for economy, but it is a durable, proven transmission that has improved greatly in refinement since the MK1. It's not "revolutionary" either, but it works very well.
I think the 5 speed is a great transmission. In retrospect, there really isn't a whole lot of revolutionizing you can do to a "row your own" trans. Maybe tweak the shifter/clutch feel but that's about it. (though Ford doesn't need to do any tweaking to the feel of the MTX) It's good old simple fun technology on an otherwise fantastic chassis. I was actually referring to the 6 speed "PowerShit" that Ford made all of us consumers horny for when we got our Focus - and will continue to plague our handsome, fun and feature packed Foci until Ford does something about it. Of course, It's livable, but a 6spd manual Focus would be epic. All Ford needs to do is add another cog to the MTX75 and they'll have me back as a repeat customer and they'll have themselves a wonderfully reliable vehicle. I'd have gotten the 5 speed if it was available on a Titanium in late 2011.

2013 Oxford White F-150 FX4 5.0 Supercrew - Loaded - Tint-to-match, Wheel-well liners, 3M Protection, Spray-in bedliner