Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Why is the American focus de-contented?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Seems to me that Hyundai/ Kia North America is offering pretty much the same high spec features as they do in Europe. I think that takes away the excuse of "The average Euro car cost about $10,000. to $15,000 MORE than the same car in the USA"

Example using my country as a comparo to USA Hyundai pricing . I will use USD dollars not including taxes

Sonata base model
Hyundai USA MSRP $21,195.00
Hyundai Estonia MSRP $24,000.00

Sorry Elizabeth but your statement needs some factual backup to make such a claim.

Plus the One Ford (global) system reduces Fords supplier costs for these features way way down. In some cases saving development costs up to 40%, which is passed on throughout Fords global suppliers. This allows the suppliers to design and engineer parts once that are uniformly produced across the globe on a large scale.
Hence the excuse of these features costing Ford too much to offer USA customers is suspect to say the least. And it cannot be said that Ford North America does not have these features available, because many of the Global Focus features mentioned by the OP are offered in other Ford North American products, such as the Fusion.

And as always one cannot compare "costs of anything" between global markets using currency exchange as the comparison tool. One cannot even compare between EU countries, as the price in each country for the same spec car is based on that specific countries pricing structure.
Price for a Focus Titanium will be different in UK, versus Germany, Versus Denmark, versus Spain, versus Romania, versus Sweden etc etc etc.
I'd say Elizabeth is right. It's not that it costs Ford more, it is that they(Europeans) are WILLING to pay more for the options. Americans want to pay as little as possible for a lot of junk where Europeans are willing to pay a lot for a little quality. So those extra features show up on their cars where we are unwilling to pay for them. If Americans could learn to pay for quality over quantity, we could have those too. But all I ever read here is what kind of a deal we got on this or that, not I paid for a great car with high quality features... Ford does not offer those features here because it would not be cost effective to have the cars featured this way when we won't pay for it and most would just buy without to get a deal. I'm sure Some will but not enough to make it reasonable to offer.