Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Why is the American focus de-contented?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
FX4life
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99227
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FX4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why is the American focus de-contented?

I have a good friend recently moved from here in Canada to Munich, Germany for a job he was offered in his field of education. Since he is permanently living there, he sold his 2010 Ford F-150 XLT and 2012 Focus Titanium (black, loaded w/sport pack, beautiful car) that he loved and just bought a new black Focus Titanium in Germany. He got it spec'd with the 182HP 1.6L Ecoboost and 6spd manual (A setup I'd kill to have on my car, ditch the dual clutch in a heartbeat). He got his car loaded with everything including the same wheels available on the sport package. He told me about all the features that came on his car that were unavailable on his american spec car, like HID projector headlights, BLIS and adaptive cruise control. His car also has a sony stereo, but no MyFordTouch. Just a slew of buttons with a small screen up top like the base cars here. His American spec car had the DCT and he claims that his euro car drives so much nicer than his american one. The Ecoboost is a perfect fit for the car apparently.

I was recently overseas in Europe in April, I saw a few top-end Foci running around. Those black/black Titanium cars with the non-amber accented dark finish HID headlights with LED running lights are downright crisp, clean and sexy.

Not that I really care about any of those features other than the HID headlights and powertrain choices, but why does Ford de-content the Focus for the American market? I know in Europe small cars are the best selling type of car so it makes sense to have features like those available, but if manufacturers and politicians want Americans to downsize their vehicles, doesn't it make sense to at least offer those features? Especially the powertrain choices..We should have 1.6L Ecoboost engines available with 6 speed manuals if we want. Maybe it would lift some of the flack regarding the PowerShit 6 speed auto. I always thought the Focus was going to be available with an Ecoboost at some point in time, but it doesn't appear to be in the plans just yet.

What do you guys think? Should we be seeing some more Euro-spec features and engines here in America?

2013 Oxford White F-150 FX4 5.0 Supercrew - Loaded - Tint-to-match, Wheel-well liners, 3M Protection, Spray-in bedliner