Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Focus Shutting Off in the Heat
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Brandon2007
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116580
What I Drive: 2007 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Brandon2007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Shutting Off in the Heat

My 2007 Ford Focus SE with 70K miles will consistently shut its engine off on days it gets 80 degrees or more. This mostly occurs at stoplights, but has also occurred while coasting downhill. The really scary thing is losing powering steering while moving!

When it happens, I just pop the car back into neutral and it starts right up, so it is not overheating as far as I can tell. I know for sure that it is tied to the engine rpm because it only occurs while the engine is idling, but I don't have an rpm gauge, so I can't watch what's happening. This problem has persisted for the last 2 years, but it occurs very predictably and only gets that hot for a few months here. If you know of anyone who has had the same problem or have an answer, that would be awesome. Especially, since I can't find anything online and the shop I went to last year didn't know. My best guess is that, similar to my motorcycle which has an adjustable idle, at low idle rpm the engine shuts off. Since the heat reduces the idle rpm, could a low idle rpm be the problem?