koberooo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116575
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 koberooo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
clunky suspension at just over 8000 miles

That's my first post on the forum, so hi everybody

My Focus has only just over 8000 miles driven (over 11 months), and it has developed a problem with clunky suspension. The easiest way to hear it is to drive over a speed bump (even at 10 mph), and it will clunk on both sides when the front wheels are already on the other side of the bump, i.e. when the weight is shifted back to those wheels. It can also be heard in a corner, while braking, and in such a case it will clunk on the right side in a left-hand corner, and on the left in a right-hand corner, i.e. on the side with the majority of the weight.

I took it to the dealer, but the first guy didn't hear anything; I took it to another one - this time I was in the car - and we rode over some speed bumps, and the noise was obvious. I made an appointment for the next week, and I will leave the car for a day. I was wondering what should I expect from them? What parts could cause the issue and would need to be replaced?

Also, I'm a bit shocked that to diagnose suspension issues, we actually took a drive. In some parts of the world, one would put a car on a diagnostic machine and simulate the bumps. Both dealerships told me that it's not how it's being done in N. America... Is this true?

Thanks!