Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Battery relay clicking, loss of all electrical, then it returns
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
jmkma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100627
What I Drive: 2005 silver zx4

FF Reputation: 1 jmkma Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Battery relay clicking, loss of all electrical, then it returns

I have had this intermittent problem for a couple of years. I have found similar problems on the web, but no solution.

While driving, battery relay under dash starts to click loudly, all lights on dash start blinking, the engine will stutter like it is dying, but usually keeps running. Occasionally if you shut the car off while this is happening it will not restart. In fact it is like the battery has been disconnected. No courtesy lights, radio, horn, switches - everything is completely dead. If you play around with light switches, hitting brakes, turning ignition off and on, etc. Elecricity will magically reappear. It will start right up and run fine until the next time it happens. Occasionally when this happens what I think is an idle selonoid or something in front of the engine will click as well as the relay.

Have replaced battery, alternator and the clicking solenoid in engine compartment (I can;t remember what it is called but the new one clicks randomly as well), checked grounds and alternator leads. Like I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of posts of people having this problem, but no solution. I am giving this car to my daughter and woudl like to get it corrected. I have no interest in bringing it to a dealer as it appears no dealer ever succesfully fixed this problem for all the other people that had it and I have a limited budget.

Is there anyone who had this problem and was able to determine what caused it and how to fix it?

This was probably the last Ford for me - I've lived for a couple of years with an unreliable car (was purchased new) and find a problem like this unacceptable. I can understand an occasional one-off crazy problem, but a lot of people have had this issue so there must be a common problem.