Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,826, Level 39
Points: 3,826, Level: 39 Points: 3,826, Level: 39 Points: 3,826, Level: 39
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Apple will be quick to try to lock out the competition with patents and you can be sure they'll spend a fortune to keep Android out of the car infotainment segment.
You're mad because Apple patents their designs? I'd be willing to bet if it were anything other than Apple, you wouldn't have even spoken up.

Quote:
The other problem is that not everyone has or wants a smart phone so should they be told, sorry pal, your SOL.
It's 2013. If you're buying a car with bluetooth audio connectivity or navigation, have a freaking smart phone already.

Quote:
What would be nice is an infotainment system that has a decent built in system with NAV and BT phone and music with USB, BT and built in (SiriusXM etc); and, in addition, a feature to allow a smart phone to drive the whole thing without being locked to iOS or Android.
Yeah because Automakers have done such a great job of that so far.... Hence this entire discussion?!

Quote:
The other other problem is that car makers like to control things so giving things over to Android or iOS is not something they're inclined to be happy with.
Considering that all of these built-in infotainment centers are designed by third parties for the automakers leads me to believe that they don't give a flip. The OE infotainment thing is purely a marketing gimmick.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.