Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Points 749, Level 14
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race

An interesting article on Slashdot today about infotainment systems. Automakers would do well to consider the comments of the Slashdot crowd as reasonable insight into what people really want out of an IVI.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/07...ment-arms-race

To quote the submitter of the article:

Consumers would prefer to see a standards-based system that allows the interface of their existing mobile OS of choice duplicated or extended on an in-dash touchscreen, while having audio redirected from their device to the vehicle's speakers. Start focusing on technologies like Miracast and Bluetooth and how they can be used to augment a customer's mobile device, rather than replace it.

I've been saying this all along, building proprietary IVI solutions is not the answer.

By the way I plan to kick off my blog this week and will post up the details on my Raspberry Pi project (called Pi Link) that I've discussed in other threads. It will be soon followed by some details on the new project I am working on that is way cooler.

Edit: Here's the logo/wallpaper I made for Pi Link.

Last edited by oritpro; 07-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.