Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - can I get a low-tech ST
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
turbodt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116293
What I Drive: 2002 Silver WRX sedan

FF Reputation: 1 turbodt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFocusST View Post
I'm the proud owner of a ST1 or a base model ST. It is perfect for me. I like the technology in my wifes 12 Focus SE but really didn't want or need anymore than that. So when I saw the ST1 and how it was basically like a regular focus techology wise I was very pleased. Plus with all the glitches the MFT seems to have and alot of people seem to complain about it I'm glad I couldn't afford the ST2,3 models. Plus I think the base model seats are better suited for my wife and I.
Thank you for the input, NYFST. Will you tell me what the ownership experience has been like? My current car deserves to be replaced by nothing less than a fun-to-drive-but-trouble-free vehicle. I imagine almost anything would be an improvement in the mpg department (my latest tank yielded just shy of 17 mpg on average, but it's been pretty warm here recently). Going from AWD to FWD is something I'm a bit concerned about too. Where I live you can't get anywhere without encountering a road grade that would cause trouble in inclement weather. Do you put on a set of snow tires in winter? I get by on high performance all season tires now; very good wet and dry traction and braking, but pretty good in light snow too. Roads get cleared pretty quickly here so no need for dedicated snow tires with the extra traction of AWD, so far.

Also, I have to admit that the new VW GTi Mk7 looks to be a pretty good step up from the Mk6, so far as running gear technology, power and handling are concerned. But I don't want problems, and the GTi is not rated as the most reliable car out there, even at it's premium pricing, while the Focus ST appears to be pretty solid. I haven't bought American in nearly four decades, but the ST has my attention.

So tell me what you can about life with your car, and especially any issues you've had with it. I have read that the tranny can be a bit clunky in 1st. Have you encountered this? I wonder if Ford has done anything to improve that for the '14 model.

thank you again for your input,
Darryl