Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - The factory radio finally died
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,598, Level 98
Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The factory radio finally died

I guess 8 years isn't bad, and the wifey's has gone out in the Windstar, so we'll probably be getting one for her too.

First off, I'm totally disappointed in the selections out there when it comes to mechless media receivers. Back in the day when MP3 CD players were new, I was on top of that- why have a changer when one CD holds as many songs? Now I don't see the sense in having CDs laying around inside the car when I can either attach a USB drive, SD card, or phone to the receiver and have music.

Right now I'm looking a a few- now this is not a $$$$ expense for me, but I'd like to move up to the next level. I don't care about navigation, DVD, or having a touch screen. I would actually prefer not to have a touch screen because then some kid won't bust a window out and tear up my dash to steal it.

I'm looking at these in no particular order:

JVC HDR 81BT
Kenwood DPX 500BT
Jensen VM 9225BT
Jensen MP1524
Kenwood DPX 308U
Pioneer FH-X700BT

I know... all of these have CD players, but I haven't found a DMR yet that I really like. The JVC is tops on the list but only because it has F and R USB- no SD card slot. The Jensens are the only ones with SD card slots, which is completely surprising. Soundstream makes one with SD slots, but people complain about the 30 second load times! Well, yeah, I would too. I might have to give up on the SD card and just go with a USB powered drive hidden somewhere.

Any options that you guys know of? I know all these are 2DIN, but I really don't care too much about that. The JVC DMRs I looked at were all DIN- but no SD card- wth? Those would be an option if HD radio were available on any. I guess maybe the world isn't moving towards DMRs?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.