dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ferguson View Post
While I was yet un-Focused, not having bought a new car since 1984, I imagined that things had changed and one no longer needed to go through the fix-stuff-they-screwed-up-at-the-factory cha-cha. But no such luck - nothing has changed.

My plight is that the 2013 Focus SE i bought in Baltimore, "NEW" with 18 miles on it has a loose driver-side windshield trim strip undiscovered before going out on 95 to see how it drove. It flaps in the wind.

So I looked at it carefully, found that it had been "glued" to the underlying plastic strip with some sort of adhesive - which hadn't worked.

I bought access to the Service Manual and read the comments I've found on the net on this subject. My conclusion is that somehow, the strip was removed or its factory installation was bungled such that the latches on the underlying strip were broken off and the adhesive seemed like a great idea to whoever faced the problem. Well it wasn't a great idea.

My take is that a proper fix will require the removal of the windshield in order to replace the clip strip which is under it, the replacement of the windshield and the installation of two new trim strips. I would have called them bezels, but maybe Ford likes it simpler.

I'm not sure I have the heart to make Ford do it right on this very obvious warranty problem. Why take a chance on the windshield replacement being screwed up.

If they can glue this trim-piece down successfully, that might be ok. It would not be reusable if it was installed properly in any case.

If i ever need to replace the windshield, they would still need to replace the underneath clip strips and the two trim pieces.

Am I wrong about any of this? Am I missing something important?

What would you do in this situation?
I would have Ford fix it correctly, even if that means a new windshield. I mean, c'mon: with DCT issues, rattling front suspensions and MFT blow-ups that Ford ignores, it's just Karma.

Plus, a windshield isn't that hard to replace and if you ever need one in the future, do you think Ford will provide you with free trim pieces? One more thing: one of my Focus trips included 300 I80 miles accross Wyoming with a 40-50 mph wind on the nose. Not sure a glued-down trim piece would've survived that journey.