Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How to unplug the AC low pressure sensor?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It might be there on a 2000 model. I thought it was right on top of the accumulator where the port is. That looks like a LP switch (2 wires), but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Yes all AC systems equalize when the compressor is off. With 134, your charged pressure should be about 10 psi higher than the ambient temp in F. So if it's 90F outside, you'll see about 100 psi. If you're only seeing 50 psi either that gauge is bad, or you have nothing but air in there. If you have nothing but air, you need a vacuum pump, and most likely a new accumulator at the least.

This might bode badly for you. The 2000 model requires a much more expensive repair in parts to replace the accumulator. If you check online parts ordering places like RockAuto.com (we can get you a 5% dc) you'll see a note that tells you that models made between 7/99 and 1/01 or something like that require a different kit. The new accumulator comes with a hose. IIRC, the difference is that there are fittings at the new accumulator so you can replace it without replacing the hose going to the compressor. At any rate, parts store prices will shock you, but that might give you a better chance to look at the part itself in case someone has already done this repair- in that case you can use the 02 accumulator which is cheaper.

A new orifice tube is a good idea since the system is down.

Best of luck, but 50 psi static pressure is not a good sign.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.