Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 automatic shifting and humidity.....relationship?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnprall View Post
when I first got the car, the noise of the transmission and shifting reminding me of driving in a manual transmission car.
It should remind you of driving in a manual transmission car because, like a manual transmission, it is a geared transmission with clutches (however "automated" by computer) rather than a hydraulically-operated planetary transmission like a typical "automatic" transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnprall View Post
After warm up, the problem still seems to be there. If it continues, is it worth bringing it to the dealer? Is there a remedy that is used on manual transmissions? Or something I just need to be aware of and drive it nice during humid days?

Appreciate all the help!
The "grabby" characteristic of a clutch on humid days is something that the driver adapts to, so there is really no remedy--it is a normal characteristic. It is very similar to how your brakes may respond differently to normal use on dry vs. humid days, or hot vs. cold days. Asking a computer to immediately adapt to something like that after it has "learned" the normal shifting characteristics of the transmission is a lot to ask.

Please note that this is all just speculation on my part. You asked how humidity might affect the way the transmission is operating, and I'm trying to relate that to my experiences with manual transmissions and clutches. So, with that in mind, my suggestion would be to see if you can alter your driving technique slightly (on/off the throttle? smoother throttle inputs?) to improve the situation on humid days, similar to the adjustments you've likely already made going from a typical automatic to this transmission. I would certainly also bring it up with your service department at least to document the situation in case it worsens in the future.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.