azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
Relying on stereotypes and being from Kansas hardly seems like a smart idea.

I was born and raised in MI. I only drive American cars. There goes that southern stereotype.

I choose to support companies who support more local companies whenever I have a choice. Nothing red neck about it. Buy a foreign product and you are providing more support to a foreign land than your own. If said country engages in fair trade with our imports, it balances out. When said country puts up barriers to fair trade I do everything in my power to avoid them.

When you buy a local (in this case American) you are supporting not only the brand but all of the local suppliers, business nearby, etc.

This is not an America vs Korea issue. Japan is worse and China is the worst in this regard. This is simple economics.

So, put your head in the sand if you choose. It doesn't mean I have to follow suit. Many of our current economic issues are due to job loss. Where do you think these jobs have gone? Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter. I would buy a product from Brazil or Mexico before any Asian country. It is not bias, it is based on economics and history.

As far as copying styling. Hyundai and Kia have been copying European Ford designs for several years already. The only foreign cars that are of interest to me are German.
Nicely put!

My only Kia experiences are from about 10 years ago, driving a couple of them... a Sephia and a Rio. They were both crap, although I found the Sephia to be slightly less crappy (IIRC they got some help from Mazda on design and used Mazda-sourced engines?). The newer cars look a whole lot better but it seems from firsthand owner reports that the quality still isn't there. FWIW I see some similarities between the Forte and the Focus, but as was mentioned earlier cars go through design "trends" and virtually all will share some styling features.