Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Jeep defies Gov't recall request ...
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 45 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Jeep defies Gov't recall request ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ecall/2388607/

Quote:
Chrysler Group is taking the very rare step of defying the government by refusing to recall 2.7 million Jeeps that federal safety officials say are dangerous and should be recalled.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sent the automaker a letter late Monday asking it to recall the 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty. NHTSA says the rear-mounted gas tanks in those vehicles are too vulnerable to leaking and catching fire in a rear-end crash.
Chrysler said Tuesday it "disagrees with NHTSA's recall request," and won't honor it.

I searched a bit and came up with nothing similar, that is the NHTSA asking an automaker to recall vehicles up to 20 years after their sale.
I think this is the correct move from Jeep. I don't recall any recall ever applying to multiple platform changes over such a wide range of years. If Jeep would give in and issue the recall, it'd set a precedent that could potentially hurt much of the auto industry. The NHTSA could go back as far as they wish to ask (force) a MFG to issue a recall simply from public outcry (in a very minor percentage) for any 'safety' reason.

I'd say that if a major safety issue is not found within a reasonable timeframe and during the warranty period of the vehicle, there should be no recall issued.

Gov't needs to back off and make some more stupid training video's and take a seminar. This is stupid.