Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Power drop just after shift (MK3 manual)
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
knapkin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107064
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Focus

FF Reputation: 1 knapkin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry for the necro, but I figured this out. It has to do with two factors, how I was shifting and the throttle response time. A simple adjustment to my shifting has resolved this.

From stop to first I would often times start the shift rev'ed a little high. Then drop the throttle down to rev match my rolling speed, fully engage and then hit the throttle.

It seems there is about a 2 second lag between dropping the throttle and having the engine actually rev down, so what was happening is just as I fully engaged the engine (sometimes still in first, sometimes I've made it to second before this hits) the revs finally drop, and because I overcompensated my throttle release due to lack of response, I'm way too low and wind up in very low torque territory.

I'm assuming this is normal and can reproduce the lag pretty regularly in second by accelerating and then popping my foot off of the throttle and counting the seconds until the engine break kicks in.

All in all it seems to boil down to me getting used to my new car.