Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 1st gear issues?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Unhappy 1st gear issues?

Okay, been a long time since I've been on here... I need to know if this is the beginning of the end of the Focus.

'04 2.3L ZX3, manual five-speed, fluid changed every 50k with Royal Purple, 157K on the car.
Everything normal up to leaving work today in heavy rain. NO prior symptoms, and then first gear goes out. Push the clutch in and go into first gear, and it doesn't feel like it's going all the way in. Let the clutch out and it grinds and then immediately kicks out of gear. No better if you it try putting it in first with the ignition off and starting with the clutch depressed. Clutch/brake fluid at normal level. NO other gears effected.
I'm thinking it's not syncro related because trying with the engine off doesn't change anything. I'm thinking it's not cable related because it's only first gear.
So I'm afraid I might be into the big $$$ range here, and running it from 2nd gear until it drops. I'd love to hear some ideas about what's gone wrong...