suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitejesus View Post
Had nothing but issues with the DCT and jerky trans and rollback on incline. Am I crazy for wanting to trade in a 6000 mile 13 SE for a new ST? Still owe 20 large too :( just not happy with this one. Gonna test drive the STs out again Sunday.

Anyone else do something similar to this?
Yeah that's pretty crazy alright, now if you were to trade for another SE but a 5MT there were pretty good rebates which could help to erase some of the negative equity of the trade, however there is next to no incentives available on the ST, and your SE even with this low a mileage is probably not going to bring close to what you say you still owe.

There is up to $3250 or so in incentives available currently on the Focus SE 5 door with the 5MT at least in the metro detroit area, vs maybe just the $500 bonus cash for the manual in the ST.

There is no current publically available way of appraising the estimated trade in value of the current model year Focus, however chances are it won't fair much better than last year's model. So even with low mileage you'd maybe see 10-15 as a trade in offer, which is not going to be enough to buy you out of the old car first, so your new loan would have to be large enough to cover this plus the new car's costs or you would need to come up with the difference in cash in order to be able to do this.

Unless you are flush with cash and want to pay down the amount you owe to being less than what you'd see on a trade you're going to have a difficult time getting another nearly 50% financed on top of what you already owe. (Take that 20k and make it maybe 30+k in the hole after the end, the ST is ~25k for the base model if you can find one, plus the value you'd lose on the trade.

It is your call, but I'd recommend avoiding making it at this stage as it doesn't sound like it would make good fiscal sense.