rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
any further updates on what gates has to say about the tensioner? Did we ever find out if the other member who had a similar failure used the 294A kit instead of the 294B? Are these still the only two failures?
I haven't heard anything from Gates. I'll be following up next week as I know that it can take time for them to receive and process parts.

Unsure about the other question. To my knowledge, these are the only two cases of failure.

I was looking at another SVT last weekend - he runs around without the upper timing cover on. His t-belt tensioner was sitting at the lower limit of the range arm with the car off. I didn't see it running, so I'm not sure if it moved back or not.

I can remark on one detail that struck me since I've had my car back. After I finished my initial T-belt job, the car ran fine, but would make a distinct whine on shut-down. It never had done that before and I haven't heard it from any other car, so it was weird, but I thought it might have been a break in issue or another pulley on the accessory track, so I didn't look that much into it. With everything replaced, the while is gone. Just something to think about.

'03 SVTF