Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #109
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114277
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BZK6351 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Howdy! Newbie here.

I had the same thing happen with my 2012 SE hatchback.

Just backed out of the garage and heard the "do da loop", looked down at the message screen and it said "Steering assist fault, service required".

I immediately turned it off then on again and it didn't do it that time.

The third time I started it, it did it again.

The steering got really heavy and, since I have about 3,000 miles left on the warranty, I called my local Ford dealer for instruction.

Mind you, this is going on 4:00 PM on a Saturday, fortunately they were still open.

I talked to the service manager and he said to have it towed in and they'll take a look at it on Monday.

Long, familiar story, short (I know, too late), they had the car for three days and could not duplicate the error code.

They said the only bulletin on the car was for a possible frayed wire under the battery, which my car didn't have.

I took the car back on Wednesday and it's been running beautifully.

It's still a little disconcerting knowing that it might happen at any time though.

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I've been driving Honda's since 1987 and, after reading reviews of this car in magazines, took the plunge on a Ford.

I hope I don't regret my decision.