Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Adding cold air tube to stock air box
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
mixadj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100022
What I Drive: 2008 Ford SES AT

FF Reputation: 1 mixadj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Adding cold air tube to stock air box

I have a 2008 Focus SES with the 2.0 Duratec. I have been admiring the fswerks CAI and exhaust systems but sadly I am a broke college student. As cheap alternatives I have removed my resonator and am considering a lunchbox delete. I thought of something the other day while cleaning out my air filter. The stock intake has a little scoop that funnels air from the crack between the body and hood into the air box. I noticed that the scoop is detachable from the air box assembly and when removed there is a 3 inch hole in the side of the box. Now I don't want to remove this thing and suck in hot engine air so I am considering plugging the hole with a 3 in O.D. piece of PVC and making an intake tube that runs down to the area behind the splash-guard. I would probably block off the original resonator hole and make this tube the primary intake. Now here is the question--Since I am keeping the stock air box, would this make a difference? Also would the increased length of the intake tube make this a moot point even though it would allow it to suck in colder air? I am planning on going to the local hardware store tomorrow to pick up an elbow joint and start measuring. I wanted to start this thread to see if anybody had any thoughts on this harebrained scheme.

Thanks for reading my small essay up there,

mixadj