Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Rally Racer needs 2.3L / 2.5L Help
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79468
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 2.0L Dtec, '11 MK2.5 2.0L

FF Reputation: 3 Fernando_221 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainiaxMotorsports View Post
Ok, thanks to the ninjas on this forum - i am going for it. Here is what we are doing.

1. I have a 2002 Focus SVT Rally car - that started life as a production class vehicle in Rally America, USRC, and NASA

2. We then did a Zetec (out) for a 2.3L Duratec (IN) swap - the car is now Open 2wd Heavy and Group 2 depending on the sanctioning body. Runs the MTX75 Tranny. She runs great, is "competitive", but is not fast and requires a LOT of rev management to stay in the power band, and torque is really not there to dig out of corners on either tarmac, track, or gravel (insert also ice/now) stages.

3. I just bought a 2.5L Duratec i4 out of a 2010 Ford Fusion !!!!!

Let the Build begin......will be documenting each step on this thread for others to follow - including all HIGH FIVES, and OH SHIT moments....enjoy.

The Car with 2.3L Duratec

The Engine Bay with current 2.3L Duratec Setup

The Bell Housing w MTX75
[pic pending]

The Dash Cluster w Custom Wire Harness Circuit Breakers

The Car on Stage moving right along ;)

NEXT POST:
The new (pulled) 2.5L I4 Duratec from a 2010 Fusion Arrives
[pic]
If you use the 2.5l from 2010 Fusion, you'll have to cut the front cover (timing cover) near the PS pump OR use the 2.3 front cover.
When you put the stock Focus PS pump, the belt will not fit, it hits the 2.5 timing cover. You have to modify the cover or use the 2.3 cover.
If you cut the 2.5 cover, you have to weld some plate inside.

We have to do this on the 2.5 Focus swap. Better thing is to use the Focus 2.3 cover.